The Bomb Squadrons of the 482nd Bomb Group
There were three original Bomb Squadrons (BS) that comprised the 482nd Bomb Group (BG). They were the 812th BS (MI), 813th BS (PC), and 814th BS (SI). Below are the official U.S. Air Force Squadron histories from official U.S. Air Force Documents. The 482nd BG was activated on August 20, 1943 under the command of Lt. Col. Baskin R. Lawrence. Lt. Col. Lawrence was the former commander of the 92nd Bomb group. Lt. Col. William Cowhart was the Air Executive Officer and considered the "Pathfinder Expert".
The 812th Bomb Squadron, under the command of Capt. Fred Rabo, arrived from the United States in September of 1943 with 12 new B-17’s equipped with the U.S. Manufactured version H2S Radar units known as H2X "Mickey". The 812th BS fly B-17F and G models H2X equipped models and B-17G Eagle.
The 813th Bomb Squadron, under the command of Capt. William C. Anderson, was a re-designation of the 325th Bomb Squadron which had been training in British-manufactured H2S "Sinkey" radar units and Oboe equipped B-17s since May of 1943. The 813th flew B-17F H2S, Oboe and B-17G H2X equipped B-17s.
The 814th Bomb Squadron, under the command of Capt. Clement Bird, was equipped with B-24H and J models equipped with H2X. B-24L, APS-15A and B-24M Eagle.
The squadron patches of each 482nd Bomb group are clearly visible on the web pages. Each patch symbolizes the use of a form of light while holding a bomb. In effect to find or see the target. The design helped visualize the role of radar quipped aircraft in their design to find the target and deliver the bomb load.